The KNITSONIK System: Self-Paced Edition
Translating everyday inspirations into stranded colourworkEnroll in Course
"Far and away the best knitting course I've taken. Every aspect of The KNITSONIK System has been thoughtfully constructed to encourage playful experimentation. No other knitting class has given me so much confidence or brought so much joy".
- Lauren Leigh Hinthorne, The KNITSONIK System online course, 2020
I've been teaching face-to-face versions of this class since 2013 in yarn shops and at festivals. However, when I expanded this class online through the winter of 2020, I learnt that working in this way allows participants to really relax into the process and to become deeply absorbed in translating everyday life into stranded colourwork. With The KNITSONIK System you can have expansive creative adventures in the comfort of your own home and take all the time you need for the things that are most important to successful outcomes: noticing, thinking and swatching.
The KNITSONIK System is a rich, immersive online course that takes you through the process of translating everyday inspirations into stranded colourwork:
- you can pace learning to your individual capacity/needs.
- you don't need to travel anywhere.
- you can pause, slow down and replay video content as many times as you like, giving new ideas a chance to properly sink in.
- a combination of video, audio and downloadable/printable worksheets mean ideas can be presented in much more depth and detail than is ever possible in a time-pressured live teaching situation.
- guided online classes can be spaced out over your schedule, providing precious time between sessions to process ideas and work on swatches.
- you have access to the content forever, for whenever you'd like a refresher course.
What does the price of the course include?
- over five hours' worth of high-quality pre-recorded instructional content to which you will have lifelong access.
- class discussions and tutor feedback in the comments areas throughout the course.
- downloadable/printable worksheets to accompany each section of the rich KNITSONIK curriculum.
- three pattern templates to which you can apply your own stranded colourwork motifs.
- access to view/contribute towards exclusive stranded colourwork agony aunt uploads (see below).
- a certificate of completion once you have worked through all the material.
Start01.0: Introducing Choose your Inspiration Source
Start01.1: Let simple things surprise you
Start01.2: Let makers working in other media inspire you
Start01.3: Let places be your inspiration source
Start01.4: Choose your Inspiration Source
StartAgony Aunt Uploads for Section 01 (52:46)
- Jimenez Joseph (aka JimiKnits), The KNITSONIK System online course, 2020
What do you make on this course?
The course leads you through a tried and tested method of beginning with an inspiration source taken from daily life... (this can be anything you like: the example used to illustrate the process is a pastilles tin.)
Drawing on this inspiration source, you will explore palettes, patterns and shading schemes through the production of a magnificent swatch. This amazing piece of work will be part of your journey in understanding your design context and its translation into stranded colourwork.The swatch will contain:
- your original ideas.
- experiments, discoveries and joy.
- visual evidence and reminders of learning.
- stranded colourwork based on your own creative thinking.
Though the swatch is the main knitted outcome of this course, you will also gain skills in colour-matching, managing a creative process, learning how to troubleshoot when things go wrong, and all manner of ways of seeing and exploring the world around you with confidence and creativity.
Additionally, in the last module of the course, you will have the option to adapt an accessory pattern that will be supplied with blank chart templates so that, if you wish, you may knit a hat, legwarmers or fingerless mitts that incorporate the best ideas from your swatch: a wearable memento of your adventures and learning.
The KNITSONIK System is a tried and tested approach to translating your everyday life into stranded colourwork. Sign up to build your creative confidence; to find new ways to celebrate, and draw inspiration from, your daily life; and to start designing your own highly personal stranded colourwork.
"I highly recommend The KNITSONIK System to anyone who loves colour and loves to knit. Felix is talented, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, encouraging and inspiring – in fact, an all-round joy to learn from. If the idea of knitting with, learning from and sharing the creative processes of people from all around the world while playing with colour appeals to you don’t miss it!"
- Sue Grandfield, (aka RiotousAssembly), The KNITSONIK System online course, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions
Get started now!
I’m Felicity Ford - I prefer Felix - and I’m your tutor for this course. As a practicing artist my passion lies in celebrating daily life in knitting (KNIT) and sound (SONIK). My creative interests have led me to develop a rich and inspiring process for translating elements of daily life into stranded colourwork designs.